Sunday, November 26, 2006

Ramblings on the Eve of Returning to Work

Technically, it is not yet time to study for final exams. But as a 4L (yep, you read that right-- this is my fourth year because I've been carrying 11 units a semester so I could work full time while going to school-- I don't know who's more insane, me or my husband!), I long-ago discovered the importance of Thanksgiving weekend. If you don't have your outlines up-to-date (that is to say pretty much completed) by the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, you might not sleep at all until final exams. So here I am, prepping for finals. I can't tell if I'm in good shape or not. I alternately feel totally at peace and like a complete wreck, and I don't know if it's because of finals coming or because I go back to work Monday.

Anyway, here are things I will miss when I go back to work (even though it's only for four days, then a week off for final exams, then back to work):

  • Being able to sleep in until 6:30am some days (and 7:00am on Wednesdays if the kids sleep that long).
  • Walking the kids to school (Casey there and Marcie home) or just walking (with Marcie while Casey is in speech therapy).
  • Watching Casey run up to the signs at Webb Lake and "read" the sign: DO NOT FEED THE DUCKS.
  • Amusement of Casey's antics. Case in point: Yesterday, after being placed in time out three times for wrestling moves on Marcie, he looked me square in the eye and shouted at me, "I DON'T LIKE YOU VERY MUCH RIGHT NOW, MOMMY. ONE. TWO.THREE. TIMEOUT. GO TO CASEY'S ROOM." I didn't laugh out loud, but I sure wanted to.
  • Running interference between Casey and poor Pugasus. (Casey is quickly learning the expression: You are not in charge of the dog.)
  • Naps. Need I say more here?
  • Being able to do laundry any day of the week, all day long, if I want.
  • Holding Marcie and feeding her the bottle.
  • Running errands.
  • Grocery shopping in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week.
  • Watching Marcie as she gains confidence walking. This morning, for instance, she was regularly letting go of the bed, the couch, the table, etc. and taking two steps toward me.
  • Being in charge of what Marcie wears.
  • Eating at random times throughout the day, whenever I'm hungry. And actually cooking lunch if I want.
  • Meeting Jason for lunch.
  • Not showering until after lunch.
  • Getting to know Casey's teachers and therapists and talking to them regularly.
  • Seeing Casey in action at school.
  • Singing silly songs and dancing like a crazy lady to music.
  • Watching Marcie nap.
  • Watching Casey nap.
  • Participating in Casey's speech therapy.
  • Marcie pulling down my pants accidentally while she pulls herself up on me.
  • Taking crazy photos (like the one yesterday of the cheerios on Casey's table after he dumped half the box out to snack).
  • Getting to watch kind of a lot of TV.
  • Hugging and kissing Marcie and Casey as much as I want (or as they want).
  • Hearing Marcie and Casey's laughter as they play together.
  • Baby babbling.
  • My speedy computer (the one at work is slow as molassess).


Things I will NOT miss when I go back to work:

  • Running interference between Casey and Marcie.
  • Disciplining Casey for demonstrating wrestling moves on his sister.
  • Repeatedly chiding Casey for (trying to put on) wearing Marcie's socks, shoes, etc.
  • Not having time to shower until after lunch.
  • Vacuuming all the time.
  • Feeling obligated to do laundry any given day of the week.
  • Cleaning up lots and and lots of poop.
  • Not getting paid.
  • Not needing to ingest much caffeine.
  • The anxiety of having my next door neighbor call the police because the dogs are barking when really it's not our dog but the two big dogs who belong to the house directly behind ours.

Things I am looking forward to about going back to work:

  • Getting paid.
  • Having time to myself in the bathroom.
  • Wearing "work clothes."
  • Talking to adults all day long.
  • Surfing the Internet (it's a job requirement!).
  • Morning meetings with the PDOP team.
  • My coworkers' sense of humor.
  • Access to e-mail all day long.
  • Having an excuse to eat lunch out (I have a friend who is recently at-home who insists she doesn't like to eat lunch now because it just doesn't taste as good when you make it at home-- yes, you know who you are, and I'm outing your working mom instincts!)
  • IM

In other news, Marcie is really taking steps now-- it's like a game. She hangs onto the couch or the bed or the table (or whatever) for dear life, turns toward me, lets go, takes a couple steps, and either I catch her or she face-plants onto the carpet. Then I pick her up and she laughs. And I laugh, and I cheer. And we repeat the process all over again. It's pretty cool.

No comments: