Friday, October 27, 2006

The Great Diaper Explosion-- Times Six? (I lost count. . .)

So remember that gross stomach bug Casey had last week? The one that resulted in numerous loads of laundry and gagging by someone not easily phased by poop? Well guess who else has it! From the title of this post, hopefully you surmised that the answer is not me. . . poor Marcie. My usually good-natured little girl has turned into super whiny kid. The first explosion, around 10am this morning, resulted in a bath for Marcie. Explosions two and three were mere minutes apart (thank goodness I got a clean diaper on her in between!). The scent rivals the sewagy smells that accompaneied Marcie's first poops in China-- the ones she pushed through with the help of the suppositories. It's pretty gross. But it doesn't seem to have stifled her appetite any-- at least not yet!

Update
I posted that post around, oh, I'd say 1:15pm. It's now 4:30pm. I think I've changed six diapers since then. And thrown three shirts and a pair of shorts in the laundry (two of the shirts were Marcie's; the other one was mine). And after the fourth poop episode, Marcie barfed. All over me. Fortunately I was wearing shorts, so it was relatively easy to clean. And bless her hear, she managed not to get the carpet with it! And so I took her temperature. It's 99.7 in her ear. I know that doesn't sound like much, but her normal temperature is in the 97-degree range, not even the standard 98.6. So I think she might have the flu, poor kid.

I did the teaspoon of pedialyte, and she threw up within the first 10 minutes. I waited 30 more minutes and did another teaspoon about 5 minutes ago-- so far, so good. Except that she pooped again-- but the timing was too close together for it to be related.

The nurse told me no solid foods for the rest of the day. . . uh . . . have you met my daughter? The one who eats and eats and eats? The one who gets fussy if she has to wait more than three hours for food? Yes, yes-- they know it will suck, and so maybe some cheerios or noodles or crackers-- a little bit. But definitely no bottles until she doesn't vomit for 8 hours straight. And then lactose free stuff. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get outta' here! BOTH of my kids have the SAME thing. I just changed a blow-out of Nicky's a few hours ago (he's sleeping now) that was like nothing I've seen before. Eemma had it last week, and before that, my grandmother and mother. I sure hope I'm not next...we're moving into our new place right now, and diarrhea is NOT on my list of things to get done.
Anyway, somethin' must be going around. We took Emma off of dairy for a few days and it worked like a charm! Let me know how Marcie's feeling.