Thursday, December 20, 2007

Swiss Family Robinson

Tonight as I was turning the corner onto our street coming home from work (at 10:00 pm), I chuckled as I drove past the Swiss Family Robinson's house. They aren't really the Robinsons. Or Swiss. But it's what I call them now.

I wish I had snapped a photo before the rain began, but I forgot. So I'll do my best to describe it. This corner house is a two story house with a three car garage. It has an old-style garage door, which folds up and is made of wood. I'm personally a fan of the the roll up kind that most people have now, but as long as the wood isn't too warped, who am I to judge?

A couple weeks ago, they had a painter stop by their home and paint each of 4 or 5 different wooden squares on their garage a different color. The entire facade of the two story home is wooden-shingled. So we assumed they were seeking a color for the trim that would match the nature wood coloring of the wooden shingles.

We were wrong. The house now has a redwood tint to it. The garage door is two more tones of brownish. And the trim is a deep and bright evergreen color. It looks like a chalet out of the Swiss Alps.

And it stands out even more because they are one of the only houses on the street with no holiday decorations. I guess they spent all their money on the new paint job. In general, I'm a fan of "to each his own," but I have to be honest-- I'm glad I don't live across the street from them. I know. Not very Christmas Spirity of me. But honest.

I'm hopeful tomorrow I'll have something more cheerful to write about. It will be the star to of a four-day weekend for me, culminating in Christmas day. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: