Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

So today begins a fresh, new year.

A year ago today, a couple friends of ours had their dossier received by the CCAA (Chinese Center for Adoption Affairs) in China. Today, Jan. 1st, marks the one year anniversary of their paperwork arriving in China. The one year anniversary of the start of the official wait. Their daughter is over there somewhere-- perhaps being born today. Perhaps not yet born. And another year without her has passed. But the good news is that this is the year they will meet her . . .

What else does 2007 have in store? 2006 was a big year of change. Jason changed jobs-- technically twice. I finished another year of law school. I worked for the summer at a terrific, family-friendly law firm here in San Diego. And even got a job offer from them for post-graduation. I ran two half-marathons and trained for a third. Jason competed in a Brazilian jiu jitsu tournament and nearly choked out his competitor-- a guy double his size and weight. Casey started a new preschool-- full day-- and actually began making friends. And speaking in complete sentences. We lost Chuffy, one of our beloved pugs. And of course, we met Marcie (and some terrific families on the trip to meet her). We celebrated birthdays and holidays with friends and family. We were generally healthy (unless you count my bazillion colds, which are really minor things). 2006 was a good year for us. Sure, we had our moments-- who doesn't? But we hope 2007 treats us just about as well.

So what do we have to look forward to in 2007? Casey turns four in just a couple weeks and will have his first friend-focused birthday party. He'll continue in full-day preschool, playing soccer, and going to speech and occupational therapy for help with his auditory processing issues and his sensory integration issues. I will take a leave of absence from my career as a teacher. At the end of this year (my final year year of law school, thankfully), I will have been in school as a student for half of our marriage. I'm not sure I remember what it was like to be married and not be a student! I will also sit for the California Bar and start a new job. Marcie will continue classes at The Little Gym, and she will start preschool this fall (already!). We're hopeful she'll be able to start full days at the same school where Casey is when I start working at the new law firm. We also are planning a big family trip this year-- out to Ohio to attend my high school debate partner's wedding and to visit with Casey's birth family. Then down to North Carolina to hang out with my parents. And maybe Jason and I will get to pop up to New York-- I haven't been there since I was 11, and Jason has never been there. Jason plans to resume Brazilian jiu jitsu this month, and I have to figure out how to add exercise into my soon-to-be crazy work/school schedule. But figure it out, we will. We always do. . . And life will keep marching forward. . .

No comments: