Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Words

One of my favorite things about watching the kids grow older is how their language has evolved.

Here are a few more things Marcie says with clarity, now:
  • grandpa
  • sticker
  • popcorn
  • milk
  • water
  • truck (that one, she says duck for)
  • mine
  • belly button (which she can identify on herself)
  • nose
  • ears
  • eyes

And Casey has been having fun with words, too. This morning, after he convinced me I should be the one to take him to school today, instead of going with Jason, he sang this as he (literally) skipped out the door:

The Farmer and the Dell
The Farmer and the Dell
Mommy's taking me to school
the Farmer and the Dell.

I was pretty impressed with the creativity of using the rhythm and beat but changing the words. He's always enjoyed music. He watched the Leap Frog Letter Factory maybe five times to learn their phonetic alphabet song.

For me, language is so important. Well, for everyone, really. But while many people think in terms of pictures, I think in terms of words. When people describe how something is going to look to me, I don't get an image of it in my head, necessary. I see the written, descriptive words. I'm just not very spatial. So it's been especially hard for me to watch Casey struggle with language-- and when he pulls out a little ditty like that one, it really warms my heart.

No comments: