Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Letter to the Sun

Dear Mr. or Ms. Sunshine,

Hi. My name is Karen. I live in San Diego. You might have heard of the place? I think you have some special contract with the city to be shining because people call this place sunny southern California. I know we aren't the sunshine state or anything, but does that mean you have to disappear at random times, leaving us to wonder where you've gone?


In December, when we had that week of amazing weather, I told you how much I appreciated the warmth and the blue skies I could see. But I also told you that it was winter-- and not to be ungrateful, but in the winter time, even when the sun is out, it's okay that it's cold. Did you take that to mean that I didn't want warm weather? Are you punishing me? Because that's totally not what I meant. And I'm really sorry I offended you.


But now it's April. And we bought some cute dresses for Marcie. And even some shorts for Casey. And I got some cute light-weight capris at Costco. We'd really like to wear them outside without freezing. So, please Mr. Sunshine, do you think you could bring back the warm weather? I thought the gray and gloomy sky was perfectly reasonable for Good Friday, seeing as it marks a gloomy Holy Day. But what about Easter? Do you think you could maybe give us some rays for el Rey? And how about just in general? Could you please stop teasing us by just letting the sun last a day or two before bringing in the overcast sky? I sure would appreciate it.


Oh, and just so you know how much I do appreciate the sunshine, here's evidence of how happy it makes the kids.




Thanks so much!


Karen


P.S. Even though it hasn't been that sunshiny this spring, the kids are still all smiles-- but that's just because Marcie recently learned how to smile for the camera!



2 comments:

Julie said...

Look at Marcie smiling! What a great photo of the three of you. You all are such a cute family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for your posting on our blog. It is so nice to "meet" another family in San Diego with a daughter from China. You have beautiful and adorable kids and you make a beautiful family.

BTW, we have yet to receive the translation of our documents. Do you know the meaning of the Name Fu Ji? We plan on using FuJi as her middle name. I see that you added Yang to your daughter's name. :-)

Best,
Sue