Sunday, August 20, 2006

Monday, August 21, 2006: Chongqing-- T Minus 3.5 Hours and Counting . . .

So this morning we left our hotel at 5:45am. I think it was the first time we were all on the bus on time! There was noticeable energy in the air, and I think I must be odd because I am so subdued. I guess I just like to be in my own space, in my own mind when my life is about to change so dramatically. Perhaps you can think of it like a c-section-- all that planning and preparation, and to know the exact time and location you will be bringing a child into your family-- there is just something surreal about it. . .

Anyway, we didn't have to wait in the airport for long. To the right is a photo of Kyndra and Larry, whose daughter shares a birthday with Jason. She is in the same orphanage as Marcie, and her name will be Cassidy. There was quite a lot of confusion as we boarded China Air because the tickets had families with small children scattered all over the plane. We worked it out eventually. But then when we exited, one of the Spectors' bags was missing! Out of 45 pieces, it was the only missing bag (doesn't that figure?!?). Actually, I'm surprised it happened to them and not to me. That's the kind of thing I can usually count on occurring on a trip! Anyway, David told us to all go ahead without him and he'd catch a taxi to the hotel. Whatever! No one was budging until everyone was ready.

On the bus we met Marie and Oriole, her assistant (yes, you read her name correctly-- like the bird). The hotel is a 20 minute ride from the airport, and it is enormous. The Golden Resources Hotel is seriously a Las Vegas style hotel (and they say as much in their marketing materials). After we went to our room (you can see the photo of our room with Marcie's crib), we headed downstairs for brunch. It was . . . um. . . well, let's just say there were lots and lots of options-- if you like fish heads and other sorts of delicacies. There just wasn't anything (except fruit) in the way of western traditions. And apparently Diet Coke (Coke Light) is very difficult to get around here-- you have to ask and there is an additional charge. Well worth it, if you ask me. So I was kidding when I said that I would be on a rice diet while in China, but apparently that wasn't too far from the truth-- today I had rice and noodles. I can't keep eating carbs like this or I won't be able to fit into my clothes! I think I've already gained four pounds since I arrived four days ago. A pound a day-- now that's a lot.

It is cool today in Chongqing-- 77 degrees. And I'm hopeful it'll stay like that. There is a beautiful walking area outside our hotel, and I'm going to try to go for a walk in the cool morning hours. We'll see how that goes. . .



Right now Jason is off grocery shopping. I am (obviously) blogging to my heart's content. I am going to nap a little and jump in the shower before Marcie's arrival. We did get an update on her, so this is what I know now:

She currently weighs 21.5 pounds (about a pound more than she did a month ago) and is 28.9 inches long. She does not use a cup yet-- just a bottle. Her nannies call her Ji Mei (she has three of them, but one is her favorite). And here is the big news we learned: she is crawling already! Casey started crawling at almost exactly 9 months, so I am so surprised (and delighted) Marcie is already crawling. She can even pull herself up! The rest is mostly stuff we already knew about her. . . now we just have to meet her! I'll try to post again later, to upload some photos-- but we are going to video tape the actually Placement instead of snapping photos so that we have it for Marcie for all time. . .

No comments: