Thursday, April 18, 2019

Hospital Stay


Hospitals are not my favorite. That said, the nurses at Rady Children’s have been amazing. And Tate has a good support system at home, too. His speech therapist sent him a get well package (which is super nice of her, but if you knew her, it probably wouldn’t surprise you because she’s super thoughtful like that). She knows Tate very well, and she sent him some baby Calico Critters to open. Which he did. Then promptly fell asleep.


When he woke up, he tried to smile for me and put on a brave face. His face and hip were both hurting, and he was nauseous. So they gave him some more medication to help with the pain and nausea. 


The hospital is on some pretty serious lockdown from visitors  because of cold and flu season. They allowed us to designate two “support people,” and my parents came by to visit. It was mostly a visit with me, though, because although Tate woke briefly, he slept through most of it. I was glad they came. I was really hungry and nervous about ordering from the hospital menu. They brought me a delicious Sprouts sandwich. 




Earlier in the day, Tate has been more alert. And hungry. We played Sleeping Queens while we waited for some beef broth and blue Gatorade. 



Tate is a snuggler. So he asked me to stay as close to him as possible most of the time. 







This was his first full “meal.” He didn’t really love it. But he drank all the Gatorade. 



Our room was pretty small. I had this chair bed to sleep on, which is where I started the night. But around 11, Tate asked me to get back in bed with him. I don’t know if they gave us a large bed or he and I are just petite enough to fit in a regular one, but I was glad. I was freezing in my chair, even with long sleeves, a sweatshirt, a fleece, a hospital blanket, and a soccer blanket. Tate runs warm, so sleeping with him helped warm me up. 


Hopefully we will get to go home today. After being awoken every two hours for vitals (and sometimes waking to our neighbor in the bed next to Tate), I’m exhausted! 

No comments: