- Met (my husband) Jason when we were freshmen in high school. We were friends, but we didn't date in high school or while we were in college.
- Taught English and Spanish at my high school alma mater right out of grad school.
- Reconnected with Jason when I planned to set him up with a friend in 1997.
- Engaged a year later. Married a year after that, in 1999.
- Did the fertility treadmill and a couple months later started the domestic adoption process in 2002.
- Son Casey was born in January 2003 during a snowstorm in Ohio. Three days after I ran a marathon in Florida. We fell in love with him (and his birth family) pretty much immediately.
- Started law school in August 2003. Because I'm crazy. Finalized Casey's adoption the next month.
- Gave up on fertility drugs for good in 2005 and headed for China. Adopted Marcie my last year of law school, in 2006.
- Began paperwork for #3 even before Marcie's adoption was finalized in our home state (in July 2007).
- Got lucky and started a job as a big fancy lawyer.
That's my life in a nutshell. (But boy could I embellish if the bullets didn't limit me-- I suppose that's the point.)