Friday, July 27, 2007

Whew. Glad that's over.

At least for now. I survived the July 2007 California Bar Exam. My computer didn't crash. There were no earthquakes. My mind did not go utterly blank, so I had plenty to say on the essays. I finished all the tasks in the "performance test" portion of the test. There were no earthquakes and the power functioned properly the entire time. No one sitting near me freaked out or had a break-down. People were relatively friendly and polite. The proctors were pleasant enough.

So the bottom line is that if I didn't pass this test, it's not because of the environment. And we all know it's not because I didn't study enough. I did every single assignment BarBri gave me. Plus some. And then some more. I did not slack. I did everything "right," and if I didn't pass this test, it will truly be because of my performance. And yeah, I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse, but since I won't be getting any results until November, I am willing myself not to worry about it.

I stayed at a hotel downtown for the past three nights, and although I don't think I actually I slept any better, but it sure was luxurious in the mornings to only worry about getting myself up and out the door. . .

So there you have it. Sort of anti-climactic, I suppose. On the one hand, I feel like celebrating just for making it through. On the other hand, I don't feel like I deserve to celebrate unless I actually passed. And then there is that sense of . . . I don't know . . . loss, maybe? I mean, I have spent the past four years and 10 weeks doing this, and now my life is going to be very different again. Just knowing that feels strange . . . Don't get me wrong; I'm looking forward to the next phase. But change is always hard, especially for those of us who are creatures of routine.

In the meantime, I'm going to be keeping plenty busy. Casey and I are going to Seaworld today. We have a bridal shower tomorrow (kids invited!), and Sunday my sister comes into town just for a few days. Then we are off to Ohio to visit with Casey's birth family, and on to North Carolina to visit with my parents and my childhood best friend.

And in the immediate future, I hear Harry Potter calling my name. I'm re-reading Half Blood Prince before I start Deathly Hallows-- and I must say, keeping away from all media and potential spoilers regarding this last book in the series has been a bit tricky. Even in the midst of the bar exam. But somehow, I've managed. So don't spoil it for me!

5 comments:

Johnny said...

Do a post about: Why did I want to become a lawyer?

epin said...

Congrats! It is a great accomplishment to take the CA bar; I was completely wiped out after the 3-day exam. Enjoy the rest of the summer before work starts.

Andrea M said...

Congratulations on finishing the test. I'm sure you did fine. A friend took the bar two years ago and he said the test was fine - it was waiting to know if he passed that was hard. Seaworld will help! And of course HP. I've read it (re-reading it already) and it's a fast paced very good book is all I will say!

Anonymous said...

I met a woman who had taken the Texas Bar exam on Thursday. She seemed like you.....happy it was over but didn't know how she did.

Knowing you, you did GREAT! Phil said HP was tres magnifique!

Alison frm Dallas

SabineM said...

Just stumbled upon your blog (now I can't remember how I got here...ha the joy of the internet!)
I love your blog and your children are gorgeous.
We also have a gorgeous daughter from China (Yuanling SWI, Hunan) that we brought home a year ago. I am soo happy for you that you are paper chasing again. Though, the paper chasing is long and brutal, it is all soo worth it!
I will add you to my blog roll so I can check on your update. Best of luck