Sunday, September 24, 2006

First American Cold

So Marcie has her first American cold. Casey brought something home (probably from school), which he kindly passed to me. And now Marcie has it, too. She is awfully good natured for a sick child (except when we suck the snot out of her nose; she hates that). But she is not a good sleeper. Even with a cool mist humidifier and a nice dose of Benadryl. For the last three days/nights in a row, she has been up at least at midnight (last night she was also up at 1:30am and 2:30am and 3:15am), and she has woken up for the day at 5:00am. Wait. Maybe the 5:00am thing is just yesterday and today; I'm not totally sure. . . but it pretty much blows. . . though at least it's been on the weekend and I could get up with her then "trade" with Jason and go back to bed around 7:00am for an hour or two. Which is nice since I have a cold, too, and Marcie's nap schedule doesn't really leave me enough time to nap with her. And neither does the paper I've been working on for the past two weeks which was due on Friday, then Saturday morning, and (thankfully) now Monday. Very nice of them to extend the deadline for me. I've never had to ask for an extension before (and this is to a student editor not a professor, luckily), so I feel weird about it.

The cold isn't that bad, but it sure does produce a lot of snot. I don't think I've ever seen so much snot come out of such a tiny nose. When she sneezes, long strings of thick, yellow pasty snot dangle from her nose down to her knees. She looks so surprised and immediately begins trying to suck it back up again because she hates having her nose wiped. It's admittedly pretty gross, but really, what can you do? And her cough never actually went away. She was at the tail end of a cold when we met her on the 21st, and now another cold and she still has that cough. . .

Did I mention this is my third cold in four weeks? I haven't been sick this frequently since my first year of teaching. At least they have been mild so far. . . And now I'm off to school. I'm leaving Jason with both kids, who are, at the moment playing in Marcie's crib together. . . wish I could find my camera to capture that on film. It'll be great ammunition against Casey some day. . .

No comments: