Monday, April 22, 2013

Puberty

No.  We're not there yet.  Thankfully.

But today I had a funny conversation with Casey about it.

One of the things I absolutely love about Casey is that he is not shy about asking me questions.  They usually come at bedtime or in the car.  Which is one of the reasons I didn't want to miss out on all the trekking of kid from pillar to post.

So today, he says, "Mom, how old will I be when I start dating?"  Of course I replied, "What do you think?" I mostly respond this way (a) because  I am trying to figure out where he is coming from and (b) because whatever answer I give is going be mostly arbitrary.

He didn't have a thought-- so I said maybe in high school.  And he seemed okay with that.  At least for now.

Then he asked, "Will my voice get deep like Blank's?"  (Name replaced with "Blank" to protect the "innocent.")

"I hope so."

"What else will happen?"

"Well, Casey, there's this thing called puberty.  And when it happens, your voice will probably deepen.  And you will grow hair under your arms.  And your sweat will really get stinky.  And you may even start to grow a moustache and beard."

"Ew."

He cracks me up.

No comments: