Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mothers' Day



Casey, participating with his classmates for a little rhyme about how bees love flowers and socks love shoes and I. love. you. He's tugging on his face here for the "I" part of it.


After the little program, the kids served us pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream and tea. Here's a picture of us hanging out together:



We celebrated with our moms, too. On Saturday evening, we went to Souplantation with Jason's mom. And on Sunday we took my mom to brunch at Peohe's on Coronado. It's one of our favorite restaurants, and we haven't seen my mom on Mother's Day . . . well . . . ever. I think I haven't been with my mom on Mother's Day since 1991. Seriously. As crazy as it sounds. And this was my first Mother's Day with no final exams since Casey was 5 months old. It was strange not feeling the need to rush off to the library after brunch. So it felt decadent to barbecue with my younger brother and his family Sunday evening.
I have been surprised to read that others feel we should not celebrate grandmother's on Mothers' Day. I know there is a Grandparents Day in the fall (maybe September?). But we don't actually celebrate that in our families. But why not celebrate grandparents on Mothers' and Fathers' Days? The prevailing wisdom (as I've seen it on blogs) is that our parents are not our kids' parents-- so celebrating their parenthood is inappropriate. I guess I understand it. But I don't get it. I mean, they are our kids parents. They are our kids grandparents. And even though it's not at all the same role that we play in our kids' lives, it's still a parental-type role. What's the harm? For me, celebrating Jason's mom and my mom on Mothers' Day is a tribute of what kind of parent I am-- what I've learned from them and how I've chosen to parent. So we'll keep on celebrating grandparents on Mothers' and Fathers' Day around here. what greater compliment is there to want to share your children's' lives with your parents-- not out of obligation but out of genuine love, gratefulness for the way we've been raised?
So there we have it.

No comments: