Thursday, October 18, 2007

Addendum to Run Off the Road

Tonight I headed out for another jog through the neighborhood.

Once again, I donned my reflective shoes, shorts, and running vest.

Paranoid that I'd run into that darned CRV driver, I jumped up on the sidewalk pretty much every time a semi-SUV-looking vehicle headed toward me.

Near the end of my run, as I was getting ready to run the big hill back up to my house, a convertible with two male passengers slowed to a stop. I ran toward them and could see the driver was talking to me, but I couldn't hear what he was saying over my i-tunes. Thinking that perhaps they were lost, and keeping my distance, I pulled an earbud out of my right ear to listen:

"I just wanted to compliment you on your vest," he called to me.

"Oh?"

"Yes. It's very good. I could see it from really far away."

"That's the idea," I called back.

"Well, it works," he said. "It took us a long time to reach you-- we could see the vest for such a long time. Just thought you should know how well it works!"

"Thanks," I grinned.

And away he drove, me following slowly behind, trudging up the hill home. Somehow, I felt redeemed. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Glad to hear not all the drivers in your area are nimrods!

Anonymous said...

DOH! Can you tell it's late for me? It's 1am in Venice; this is our last night on the honeymoon.

...Holly